Thursday, October 8, 2009

Ode to autumn

Today was a long day. I'm not sure why exactly it just felt long and lonely.

There were several things that I wanted to get done, but it just didn't happen. I suppose that is why by the grace of God there is a new day each day. What do you think? I found myself longing for an adventure and the chance to experience Him in the wilderness. To come back refreshed and realize that this life... even the day-to-day stuff is a blessing and an adventure in and of itself.

I'd love to be driving somewhere right now. A long road trip with a destiny in mind.

I remember traveling to see Yosemite with Bruce, Ben and Kelly. I remember what it felt like to catch a cab back to the airport from Bear Trap Ranch in Colorado. I remember reading Through Painted Desserts and feeling like I had been to Oregon even though I've never tasted the salty woods of the Pacific Northwest. I remember Melissa falling asleep on my shoulder driving home from Fredericksburg and what it felt like sail the Atlantic with her off of the coast of Maine.

I look forward to the winter memories that come so quickly around the bend. I hope to savor a glass of blueberry wine from the fruit that we picked this summer. I hope that it is as good as the one that we tasted on our Honeymoon.

For all that I have had the pleasure of sharing words and time with... for imparting a memory to this heart of mine -- I raise a glass for you and offer a toast to thine.


No comments: