Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A new chapter

My grandfather passed away yesterday.  I suppose this event has been anticipated for some time, but "expected" just doesn't seem to cut it.  You never really "expect" to lose someone you care about.

I got a text from my dad that read "Call me when you can."  I knew what his text meant even though I didn't know for certain... or maybe I didn't want to realize it for certain.  Denial?  Sure.  So, when I called him, and he bore the news to me the weeping was instantaneous.  I spent a good while crying, and asking questions of "... is Grandmother okay? Are you there now?  Were you with him when he passed?"  Yes to all three.

I'm glad my dad and my uncle were there with him in his final moments with us.  I glad they were there to comfort my Grandmother too.  My dad said his passing was "peaceful" and I'm thankful for that also.

After I got off the phone with my father... I cried some more.  Deep sobbing that brought me to my knees.

The most recent memory I have of my Grandfather was at our extended family "Christmas" gathering after New Year's.  He got to see Liam and all of his amiable personality.  It made Granddaddy laugh a few big chuckles.  I hadn't heard him laugh like that in a very long time due to his health complications.

He lived a full life.  He cared immensely about his family.  I think we all have something to be thankful for in how he impacted each of our lives.

Grieving will take time... I'm not sure it has all sunk in yet.  I will see my Grandmother Thursday at his memorial service and I will wrap my arms around her and kiss her on the cheek.  I'm not exactly sure what this new chapter holds for all of us, but I'm glad that Granddaddy can finally rest.  He hasn't been well for a long while.

Rest in peace.  I will miss you.

Greg

No comments: