Sunday, September 20, 2009

Leisurely Sunday Afternoon

Currently, I'm laying on our living room floor typing on Mel's old [working!] laptop and she is chilling out on the couch trying to feel better while surfing the web and listening to Taylor Swift. I have to say... I love afternoons like this.

It's leisurely, ya know? Even the windchimes are relaxed while hanging from the eves of our back patio.

Alas, I have an overgrown lawn that whines for attention and a grocery list that is destined to be filled out, but they must wait for the moment.

Last night was the first time we were able to hang out with our friends Lauren and Rodney in a long while. We were seeking something low key but arrived at quite the opposite. I'll let you check our Melissa's blog for all the details on the fire across the street. Needless to say, I didn't get to bed as early as I would have liked, but midnight is better than some nights I suppose.

Yesterday, I also had the joy of running 12 miles with my wife. Even though, we don't always stay together on the route, I love the fact that we are participating in something together with the same goal in mind AND we're staying healthy and getting in better shape to boot!

How else could we fill up the day yesterday? Well, Melissa and I are good about filling our plates, so what better way to do it than to go to my twin nieces first birthday party yesterday (but we did manage to sneak a birthday card to Dad at the party too :-) ? They are growing up altogether too fast. Sometimes I wish that life would slow down a bit more. I suppose that's part of the reason it's nice to write right now. But I digress...

My family was there (Grandparents, Brother-n-laws' immediate family, my parents...) and Lisa and Jeff's growing collection of friends that are in a similar life stage as them. It really warms my heart to see Lisa and Jeff in the role of Mom and Dad. God has specially equipped them to do this job just as he has equipped them to do so many other things well. I like seeing them slow down a bit to parent and plant roots vs. the somewhat "busy" lifestyle that had enveloped them a few years ago.

Melissa and I are still figuring out this chartered voyage. I'm still figuring out myself. Sometimes I feel as though my targeted goals are a bit myopic however. The most challenging task for me right now is knowing myself.... and being honest about it.

In closing, I'll leave you with a few pics of Sarah and Jessica enjoying their first cakes. Pretty precious, huh? :-)

1 comment:

Lauren @ Team Giles said...

had fun with ya'll last night! :)

your nieces are ADORABLE!!