Thursday, September 10, 2009

Whisked away!


So, I've never really owned a decent whisk. Sad but true. As much as I love to cook, as much as I love to fascinate the senses with culinary creations... I have been lacking a good whisk (or known technically as a "whip").

I've always gotten by with a trio of whisks that I purchased from the grocery store [in college no less] a long, long time ago. They have done their fair share of beating eggs to smithereens and incorporating wet goods into dry works; however, (and that's a BIG however) they have done a number on my hands, arms and shoulders when it comes to attempting anything that requires a decent amount of air whipped in - your meringues, whipped cream, or most recently... mayonnaise.

That's right. Mayonnaise. I've made the stuff at home and let me tell you it is by FAR a superior product than what can be purchased in the store (AND w/o the added preservatives). It was a lot of hard work though trying to whip into an obedient emulsion, especially when using such a puny device as the one that I had. After tossing out a couple of batches of ingredients and dirtying an entire kitchen in the process I decided that I needed to put my Sur La Table employee discount to good use and purchase a new one.

So I did.

Let me tell you this - if you know me well at all, you know that I like to research things. I research the bejezus out of them and I am satisfied to have found the "best" one. The pun is not intended. Okay, maybe a little intended.

The manufacturer of this whisk is indeed made by "Best Manufacturing"as you can clearly see on the handle. It has 10 stainles steel tines which are sealed into the handle by an epoxy thus keeping out both moisture and food debris making it more sanitary in the process. My old whisk had already had its fair share of problems with rust.

It was recommended by America's Test Kitchen to the best of my knowledge and Alton Brown spoke highly of it as well in his book Gear for Your Kitchen. "If I could own only one whisk, it would be a stout, wood-handled balloon whisk made by Best." It having a balloon shape means that it can incorporate air at a more rapid rate.

I bought this prior to having read Alton's book. It gives me a sense of pride knowing that I have chosen wisely. Alton is somewhat of a cooking hero to me and it makes me happy knowing that I picked one that he stands fully behind.

All I can say to end this is, "Eggs... watch your back!"


1 comment:

Anne said...

Sounds good, Greg! I'd like to try it sometime!